Dry needling uses acupuncture needles to specifically target injured muscles, which have tightened/contracted as a result of injury/stress. The needles are inserted into the affected areas, which can be directly into the tight bands of muscles, or near the spine where the nerves have become irritated. Generally, the insertion of the needles is relatively painless, however into a tight band, you may feel the sensation of muscle cramping. The result is to relax the tight bands of muscle, improve local blood flow to the area and normalize nerve function.
Your first treatment
Your first treatment will involve a thorough assessment of your injury to determine the areas causing your pain. It will generally involve a few needles as each person will react quite differently, and it is not possible to know exactly how you will react. You will generally feel some cramping during treatment directly into the tight bands of muscle and some soreness for up to 24-48 hours after the treatment.
IMS may help with the following conditions:
- Chronic neck/lower back pain
- Post Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Shoulder Impingement
- Chronic Muscle tightness
Contraindications to dry needling:
IMS should be avoided
- during pregnancy
- if you have a compromised immune system or fever
- if there is a local infection or wound in the area
- Post surgery for 3-6 months
- Post mastectomy/lymph node removal in that limb
- If you are taking blood thinners or have haemophilia. Those who are taking blood thinners may be eligible for dry needling with prior consultation and approval in writing from the doctor.
We do not warrant or represent that the information in this site is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. We recommend that you seek individual advice before acting on any information in this site. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on our website is correct at the time of publication but recommend that you exercise your own skill and care with respect to its use. If you wish to purchase our services, please do not rely solely on the information in this website.